A secure home is the desire of everyone and is peaceful to know that your home is secure even when you are not around. A home alarm system that is both efficient and reliable is all that you would require, but first, what is a home alarm system? In general, this is a system that combines different gadgets, in most cases electric, which have the ability to monitor and notify the authorized person of any abnormal occurrence in and around the home. In some cases, the notification comes in form of sound, but also it may include electric signals.
How does a home alarm system work?
Well, this may differ slightly depending on the security company that installs the system and what the system entails, but generally, it has gadgets that monitor, detect, respond and communicate. For monitoring purposes, the home alarm systems have gadgets like smoke detectors, temperature sensors, motion detectors, carbon monoxide sensors and also video systems. There are also glass-break detectors and also pet friendly detectors. Once the abnormal occurrence has been picked up by the monitoring system, it sends a signal as a way of communication. This signal may be through the land line phone system or a wireless system, again depending on the company that provides the home alarm system. The companies that provide GSM monitoring include Vivint Securities, Lifeshield Security systems, Frontpoint and Protect America Alarms. For land line systems, ADT Alarms is known for this. The security system may also trigger some alarms that produce a sound to scare away the intruders.
Various uses of the home alarm systems
There are several uses of the home alarm systems, all geared towards enhancement of security and safety. It is important to note that various systems target unique abnormal events, though a system may detect a variety of the occurrences depending on the monitoring gadgets installed. The various uses include, among others:
- Fire detection – This is through the smoke sensors and also the temperature sensors. The systems alert the security company, and also trigger a loud sound to alert anyone in the house.
- Burglary detection – This is done through entry detection systems that alert the owners or the security company of any unauthorized entry into the home.
- Medical alert – The home alarm systems can be used to monitor the elderly or sick persons in the home. In the case of a medical emergency, the remote systems quickly communicate to the medical personnel who are authorized to take care of such people.
- Poisonous gas detection – The carbon monoxide gas is known to affect the health of human beings, mostly the young children due to its suffocating characteristic. The sensors in the home alarm systems detect this and trigger an alarm to the authorized persons.
Is it worthy to install a home alarm system?
With the rising level of crime, all homes are prone to burglary and it is therefore important to make an effort to safeguard your home. Furthermore the equipment used in the modern home pose a safety hazard especially to the young babies in case they malfunction. With a home alarm system, you will be able to monitor your home even when you are not around. The systems also scare away the burglars and also alert not only you but also the security company in case an attempt is made to break into the home. All this is to your expedient as you will have an assurance of a safe and secure home. It is therefore worthy to install an alarm system.
What to consider in choosing the alarm system
For a home alarm system to be considered good, there are various conditions that must be fulfilled. The most important ones are that it must be fully functional at all times and easy to operate. When choosing from a wide variety of home alarm systems, there are various aspects that you have to consider. This is because not every homeowner has the same security needs. So before you make any decision on which alarm system to install, read through the following list of factors that have to be involved in your decision making.
- Your Budget – Different home alarm systems cost differently depending on their complexity. If you are on a tight budget, you may want to go for a basic alarm system that alerts you to a break-in. More expensive systems are connected to central monitoring stations where police can be alerted quickly. If your budget allows you, you can also add several other functions to the basic alarm system such as smoke detection, closed-circuit TV, panic buttons and many others. Do not forget to include the installation cost in your budget.
- Value of your property – If you have very valuable items in your house, you may want to invest in a more complex home alarm system. It should be quick and efficient in identifying danger as well as alerting you and the authorities to it.
- House size – A big house has more doors and windows that need to be covered by the system. More motion sensors will also have to be used. It may also cost you more to protect your house.
- The security company – If you opt to have your alarm system monitored by a security company, you need to be cautious about the company you decide to go for. Find a company that has an impressive track record and which can guarantee quick response to any danger.
Educating the users of an alarm system on how to operate it is extremely crucial. If it is a family, everyone should know how to set the alarm and what to do in case of any danger. The company that sells and installs the alarm system has the responsibility of user education.
Some home insurers offer insurance discounts for home owners who install a home alarm system for the first time. So if you are planning to install one, call your insurance provide and ask whether they offer such a discount.
Take your time in choosing a home alarm system, it will ensure that you get a product that fits your home, budget and lifestyle and which provided maximum protection to you, your family and your possessions. We recommend that you take a look at our top home alarm systems we reviewed here on our website.